Nutrition And Health Claims
Assignment 2- Individual assignment
Case study on nutrition and health claims requiring demonstration of ability to critically analyse conflicting data and synthesise reasoned conclusions.
The case study contains SCIENTIFIC OPINION from EFSA on two applications submitted for authorisation of a health claim pursuant to Article 13(5) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006 related to reduction of body weight.
· GlycoLiteTM and helps to reduce body weight: evaluation of a health claim pursuant to Article 13(5) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006
EFSA Journal 2019;17(6):5715
· A fixed carbohydrate:protein ratio ≤ 1.8 on an energy basis consumed in the context of an energy-restricted diet and reduction of body weight: evaluation of a health claim pursuant to Article 13(5) of Regulation (EC) No 1924/2006
EFSA Journal 2017; 15(6):4839
Health claims submitted to EFSA for approval must be substantiated by robust scientific evidence. Using the SCIENTIFIC OPINION presented in the case study, critically evaluate the level and relevance of the scientific evidence provided and how this led to the conclusions reached by EFSA.
In your answer please consider the following points:
· The provision of guidance on the preparation of health claim applications and the level of detail provided on the need for scientific substantiation by EFSA
· Considerations when defining the food, the ‘claimed effect’ and identifying a cause and effect relationship
· General overview of the nature of scientific evidence provided to support the claims and how this related to the conclusions reached by EFSA.