MGT172 HW4 – hw4: Introducing Scrum at P2P
Business Project Management (University of California San Diego)
MGT172 HW4 A16168201
Introducing Scrum at P2P
- How would you assess P2P’s effort at introducing Scrum?
As far as I am concerned, Scrum does not work well in P2P’s IT after second sprint later even if it implements well in the first sprint. Admittedly, I would to say the cons Overperform pros quite a lot. There are some evidences of pros and cons listed below:
- The product manager, named Isaac Smith in the midway forced the IT team to change majority of features they have done before.
- Prem played the whole role to task master is also a mistake. The correct way should be the team members to solve all problems, not only Prem.
- The other 3 planning meetings are more of a formality are a waste of time.
- Prem and Isaac involved and intervened too much on this project.
- The project delayed 12 weeks that were longer than planned schedule. At the same time, new features they completed were not satisfied with the customers well.
- It is totally different from the traditional working and Scrum it was up to the team to decide who does what and when unlike the traditional working process.
- Scrum gives IT programmers inspiration to work at a faster pace than before. It gives a more active atmosphere.
- The team gets some useful feedback not only from the director but also from
couples of the end users. And every meeting gives task priority features.
- What challenges does an organization face when adopting an Agile approach like Scrum?
- Firstly, in the workshop, there were a lot of terminology needed team members to
understand and digest due to this brand new approach.
- Team need to accept the role of a new master person such as Prem to their team.
This may take some time to be familiar to.
- Scrum also emphasize the way of self-organizing team that is different from the traditional way that confused team members like Kendra.
- In conclusion of the workshop, Scrum is new; it takes time for people to accept.
- In the process of first sprint, the big challenge is that everyone is nervous and a little awkward that were afraid of stepping on each other’s toes and making a mistake.
- In the process of second sprint, team members always wait Prem to speak first and
team did not solve the sticky integration problem by themselves.
- In the second sprint, Prem and Isaac reorganized and changed the features.
- Summarized several sprint meetings, Prem and Isaac directly decided how the project work are going on – also a big challenge.
- For the interaction of Kendra’s team and customers, customers info did not deliver to Kendra on time and directly. It is Isaac conveyed the message between customers and IT teams.
- Concluded the customers feedback part, Kendra’ team cannot get access to
customer information and satisfaction so that IT teams cannot adjust the feature system is the third challenge.
- What could P2P have done to enhance success?
Due to Question #1 and #2 problems and disadvantages and Scrum, I think there are several methods to enhance and ensure success.
- To solve unfamiliarity with Scrum problem, extend the workshop time and carry out the pre-activities before the BIG FOOT project started. At the same time, let Prem and Isaac not be the leader or director of the team while let team members to solve every sticky problem by themselves.
- For the sprint meeting problem, let the meeting be useful and encourage members
to engage in this meeting, Kendra should not be absent. The most important part is Properly and partly listening to outsiders’ opinions such as Isaac’s idea.
- As for the customers, I think, Kendra connect with the customers is a better way to
be successful, not Isaac gave feedback to the team because Isaac is not familiar with the project itself.
- Master the project time better, not persistent to one problem all the time. It will
delay the process.