Los Angeles Pierce College Racial Profiling and Ethnocentric Practices QuestionsSchool
Los Angeles Pierce College
Help me study for my Sociology class. I’m stuck and don’t understand.
- What is racial profiling? Provide examples of how law enforcement, government officials and/or ordinary citizens use racial profiling in the aftermath of 9/11. (review Arizona case). How might the contact hypothesis remedy profiling?
- Discuss various ethnocentric practices historically used by those in power that have contributed to prejudicial attitudes towards racial and minority groups.
- What is the social construction of race? Provide a symbolic interactionist perspective. How can this concept (social construction of race) be applied to Americans from multiple racial backgrounds?
- Define the term model minority. Discuss which minority group is perceived as living up to that image. Discuss advantages and disadvantages of being a model minority.
Skip a page, then answer these:
1. Pick three categories of gender/sex/sexuality/identity form this chart (attached below)
2. Write a paragraph for each category thoroughly defining the areas you chose. Be sure to cite your sources.
3. Write a brief reflection paragraph on your gender/sex/sexuality/identity. Do you feel comfortable sharing your identities with others? Why or why not?